Shaun McCarthy is an independent advisor, author and speaker in the field of sustainable business policy and practice. He has been a leader in sustainable supply chain management for 20+ years; having instigated much of today’s best practice. He also pioneered a unique assurance programme over the sustainability of the London 2012 Olympics. He was awarded an OBE for services to sustainability and the London Olympics by Her Majesty the Queen in her 2013 birthday honours list. His current and recent portfolio includes:
• Director, Action Sustainability (2006 -), a niche consultancy business with a social enterprise mission to inspire sustainable supply chain management www.actionsustainability.com
• Chair, Supply Chain School (2012-), a collaborative initiative in the UK and Australian construction industry to build competence of the supply chain www.supplychainschool.co.uk www.offsiteschool.co.uk www.supplychainschool.org.au
• Advisor, Transport for London (2007-16), expert advisor to the non-executive Safety and Sustainability panel,
• Advisor – Rail Safety Standards Board and Department for Transport (2015-15), advising on incorporation of sustainable standards in national rail franchises
• Advisor, Tarmac (2013-), part of an expert panel advising the executive team on long term sustainability issues
• Director, Greenshoots Foundation (2010-), an innovative charity mitigating the carbon emissions of a major corporation and delivering local social benefits
• Chair, Commission for a Sustainable London 2012 (2006-13), a ground breaking assurance body directly advising the Mayor of London and Olympics Minister www.cslondon.org
Shaun has over 20 years senior management experience with large companies and 10 years’ experience as an independent advisor to a wide variety of corporations and governments around the world.
In addition to his OBE, he is Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts, a member of the Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply since 1995 and a Member of the Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment since 2004.