- How does the mindset of private real estate debt funds differ? Is it true to say they are acting more as loan originators than raising money to take over legacy portfolios?
- Does this mark a growing trend of private equity funds pushing further into debt investments?
- What role will the banks play in these funds? Is it only ever going to be the senior debt?
- Is a declining junk bond market creating a buying opportunity from hedge funds and others that have been traditionally active in mezzanine loans and other high yield debt?
- A high quality security with an impressive yield: Is this simply the best option for defensive and income-focused investors?
- How applicable are private real estate debt funds for emerging markets? Will high value real estate opportunities in those markets still be considered, or are they really only for A grade geographies?
Wee Teck Tay, Head of Private Equity Investments, Group Wealth Management, Standard Chartered Bank