Accounting Business Expo 2020 Agenda | Progressive Bookkeeping
Bookkeeping is enjoying a renaissance in a cloud-run world. How are bookkeepers keeping up with the pace of change? What are the hottest new services that your clients secretly need? How can you find more ways to be relevant and valued by your clients?
Progressive Bookkeeping, Wednesday 25 March 2020
Tax In A Digital World
Jeremy Hirschhorn is Second Commissioner at the Australian Taxation Office (ATO). He has overall responsibility for the Client Engagement Group, which fosters willing participation in Australia’s tax and super systems through well-designed client experiences.Jeremy has more than 20 years' experience across the public and private sector in managing complex tax matters.
- Jeremy will be discussing how the ATO is making the complex more streamlined. Jeremy will also be showcasing how the ATO is using its data to support businesses in new ways, and how he sees the role of tax professionals changing.
Business And Politics - The Next 10 Years
New political movements in the UK, the US and much of Europe have overturned the status quo, mostly moving to the right. Xi Jinping’s China is exerting its might with the Belt and Road initiative and other projects. Business leaders are weighing into public conversations on the limits of free speech and climate change. What does leadership look like in the next decade?
- Will business leaders and businesses become advocates for political causes and not just profits?
- How will political parties revitalise trust with constituents when technology is outpacing governance?
- Will the era of trillion dollar companies drive Australia towards lesser equality in wealth?
Why An Innovation Strategy Is Not About Technology
How can a firm approach innovation? Does it look different in a small firm compared to a large one? The biggest challenge is convincing people that innovation doesn’t equal technology. It’s about creating a culture and a mindset. Hear one accountant’s exploration of innovation from within her award-winning, 20-staff firm to a $300 million mid-tier.
- Discover the seven conditions to create a culture of innovation
- Learn how you can innovate with your business model, process or market
- Find out how to coordinate innovation within a larger firm
Taming The Email Beast – Why One Size Doesn’t Fit All
The problem isn’t that we are all drowning in email; the real issue is that we are using email ineffectively. Too often we take a “one size fits all” mentality to setting rules in Outlook. Instead we need to configure our email programs to accommodate each person’s unique strengths, weaknesses and preferences.
- Discover why “one size fits all” rules are fine in theory but poor in practice
- Inbox Zero or Crowded Inbox – who cares? Why your garage might have the answer to managing email
- Scheduling for success – how to understand your priorities and make informed decisions in even fluid environment
Don’t Become Your Clients’ Black Economy Scapegoat
The Tax Office’s Black Economy Taskforce is turning the heat up on industries that hide billions of dollars in taxpayer revenue. Mobile Strike Teams are targeting clients and also their tax and BAS Agents. What are the Mobile Strike Teams looking for? How can you avoid being drawn into the vortex by your clients’ behaviour?
- Understand how Mobile Strike Teams operate
- Know the preventative steps BAS Agents can take to protect clients and themselves
- Find out the steps you can take to avoid becoming a black economy statistic
Coronavirus, Bushfires, Energy Crisis: What Is The Net Impact On The Economy?
A pandemic shuts down China, the world’s factory, slashing revenue from student fees at universities and strangling supply chains. An apocalyptic fire season demolishes holiday trade along the eastern coast. Climate change denial cripples our energy policy and investment. US-led trade wars increase uncertainty. What will the short and long term effects be on Australia’s economy?
- Find out whether a tough six months is a good indicator of the next year
- Discover the impact of global policies on domestic fortunes
- Understand which industries will be hardest hit
A discussion between a rising superstar and an established giant of SME business technology in Australia. Airwallex and Xero will discuss the concept of the modern business and the importance of thinking and acting globally for customers, suppliers and employees.
- Find out how SMEs are using technology to compete with big business and how their accounting partners are supporting them
- Hear how Airwallex became the fastest unicorn in Australian history and how startups can supercharge their growth
- Learn how to identify opportunities to save time and money with automating, offshoring and innovating
last published: 18/Feb/20 23:55
Progressive Bookkeeping, Thursday 26 March 2020
What’s on the plate of a CFO of a $13 billion company that is experiencing rapid growth? Mirvac’s assets under management nearly doubled to $23 billion in five years and are on track to hit $32 billion by 2024. How do you scale up an organisation to handle that growth and avoid inefficiency?
- Discover the technology trends that are changing the skillset needed in the finance team
- Find out why employee engagement is such a critical metric to supporting high growth
- Get tips on how to create a high-performing culture
Why Everyone Will Move to Real-Time Audits, and When
The basics of carrying out an audit haven’t changed for centuries. The tectonic shifts in technology are giving rise to new ways of thinking that could see sampling dumped for real-time audits of every single transaction – even if a SME sells thousands of items a day.
- Discover how changes access to banking data will give accountants much more power
- Learn about the potential new models for audit and when they are likely to emerge
- Find out how firms can redesign their audit teams and create radical new services
Why do bookkeepers always end up playing second string to the accountant? Especially when they are even closer and know more about the client’s business? Reframe your role as equal in value to the accountant – in the accountant’s eyes, as well as the client’s. Then it becomes much easier to charge what you're really worth.
- Find out why collaboration never works without mutual respect
- Learn how to explain your value and find accountants who will listen
- Discover how your pricing is tied to your client’s perception of your value
If you do the minimum number of CPE hours, you may be short-changing yourself. With rapidly evolving technology and legislation, the need to keep up to date has never been stronger. How do you seek both quantity and quality in professional education? Find out why CPE should be viewed as “maximum amount of quality” rather than “minimum number of hours”.
- Understand the difference between the CPE you have to do and the CPE you should want to do
- Develop a structured approach to your CPE
- Find out the sorts of CPE activities most BAS Agents should be targeting
last published: 18/Feb/20 23:55