Malcolm Taylor is a specialist in digitalisation and the creation, implementation and application of Project Information Management (PIM) on major projects, committed to driving better outcomes for complex infrastructure programmes. He has over 40 years of experience in programme and project management, design and construction of major transport infrastructure schemes, gained throughout the Caribbean, UK, Europe, Africa, Middle East and Asia.
Malcolm is a leading exponent of the UK’s drive for PIM and Building Information Management (BIM) maturity in client organisations, using digital technologies for better decision-making and management of projects throughout the entire project life cycle. He is a regular contributor to the UK BIM Task Group and has appeared in the media as a transportation specialist, notably on Sky News, BBC News 24 and BBC Radio 4.
As Head of Technical Information at Crossrail, he manages a team of 50+ specialists. Malcolm’s responsibilities include development of digital and technical information strategies as well as BIM, computer-aided design (CAD) services, document management, Crossrail’s geographic information system (GIS), cyber security, and asset information management. He also led the development of Crossrail’s award-winning Innovate18 programme, which captures and explores pioneering ideas from all those involved in the project, helping to raise the bar for other major projects.
Prior to joining Crossrail, Malcolm was Head of AECOM’s £14m rail sector business, where he led the company’s rail engineering team and directed major rail assignments through the UK, Europe, Africa and Middle East. He also completed two assignments based in Hong Kong while at Mouchel (now part of WSP) where he led the company’s involvement in major rail and infrastructure projects.
Malcolm holds a BEng in Civil and Structural Engineering from the University of Bradford and an MBA in Systems Engineering from the University of London. He is a Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers, the Institution of Structural Engineers, and the Hong Kong Institution of Engineers. Malcolm also holds a Certified Diploma in Accountancy and Finance, and a Certificate in Transport Studies from the University of London.
- Head of Technical Information for Crossrail, Europe’s largest rail infrastructure programme, responsible for technical information strategy, BIM, CAD Services, document management, GIS, asset information management, configuration management, and handover of information into operations; business Sponsor for IT development initiatives and responsible for all innovation initiatives.
- Director and Head of Rail Sector for AECOM (formerly Faber Maunsell), responsible for business strategy, growth and recruitment of the company’s £14m turnover rail business. Directed and managed a wide portfolio of major transport infrastructure projects, for clients that included Crossrail, Docklands Light Railway, London Underground, Network Rail and Transport for Scotland.
- Director and Team Leader performing due diligence on behalf of asset management company Nedbank, for the funding of Gautrain in Gauteng, South Africa’s 50-mile-long commuter rail system and Africa’s largest public-private partnership (PPP) project.
- Director of Rail and International Consultancy Group of 40+ staff at Mouchel Consulting (now part of WSP), providing design, engineering and construction supervisory services for a range of road and rail infrastructure projects, including: the strengthening and refurbishment of the Puente Duarte Suspension Bridge in the Dominican Republic, the largest suspension bridge in the Caribbean; the award-winning strengthening of Hythe Bridge in Oxford, UK, a historic cast iron structure; and the 1.2-mile Kohat Road Tunnel in Pakistan under the Khigana Mountains.
- Project Director for the three-year ASSET (Advanced Structural SystEm for Tomorrow’s Infrastructure) £2.9m research project comprising a consortium of seven partners drawn from five European countries to research and develop a revolutionary bridge decking system made out of glass and carbon fibre-reinforced polymer (CFRP) for new build applications.
- Completed two separate, three-year assignments based in Hong Kong for Mouchel as Deputy Managing Director and Director of Highways & Transportation Division. Created new company division with remit to develop Hong Kong market. Specialist engineering adviser to the Hong Kong Government for two major sea crossings into Hong Kong from China.
- Independent Advisor to the Hong Kong Government on MTR’s West Rail and Tseung Kwan O Line Extension projects.
- Led Crossrail’s BIM Project Application Award – Civil Engineering at the 2013 and 2015 British Construction Industry Awards (BCIA), London, UK.