Retail Innovation and technology for airline, airports and partners
Historically airlines haven’t taken advantage of the retail opportunity presented by having a pre-qualified captive audience of travellers. Online retailers have increased passengers expectations tenfold, the average traveller is used to contextual marketing, personalised experiences and a fast acting service.
The Air Retail Show brings together Heads of Retail, Heads of Ancillary, Heads of Innovation and Heads of Experience to discuss the digital transformation lessons airlines can learn from mainstream retailers to enhance passenger experience and boost sales.
Key topics covered this year include the growth of ancillary revenues, personalisation of the shopping experience, on board crew engagement, multi-channel shopping, airport retail technology, big data and connectivity.
Can you help Heads of Ancillary and Retail cater to the needs of the next generation of travellers? Then join us at the Global Air Retail Show.
Advisory Board Members
Director Ancillary and Product
Director Ancillary Revenue
Head of Ancillary Revenue
Senior Vice President
Mariana Fonseca Medina
Director of Ancillary and Merchandising Strategy
Director, Ancillary Products, Loyalty & Co-Brand Programs
Head of Ancillary Revenue and Head of Hong Kong Airlines Holidays
Hong Kong Airlines
VP Global Sales & Revenue Management
Retail, Wednesday 5 September 2018
MEGATRENDS KEYNOTE: When software is eating the world and the aviation industry is facing significant disruption; how do we keep the customer as our central focus?
- How should airlines be thinking about FAANG companies and new interfaces such as AR, VR and voice technology to give passengers the chance to experience products and services?
- Applying artificial intelligence and machine learning at scale to streamline and simplify individual business processes
- What can we learn from the Chinese market who are light years ahead of us when it comes to mobile first, seamless and frictionless payment experiences?
- How blockchain, IoT and machine learning can potentially offer airlines a much deeper understanding of consumer behaviour along with opportunities to unlock ancillary services?
Improving the payment solutions on-board to enable a seamless customer experience
- Why is Air France KLM so interested in the on-board payment space?
- What are the biggest challenges slowing the implementation of seamless onboard payment?
- How we are approaching our strategy and discussing our key drivers for innovation
All eyes on cash, Why the aviation industry should keep an eye on cash right now
- Cash is still king for millions of consumers worldwide, online and offline
- How can you benefit from this approach towards cash payment methods and how to attract new customer groups?
- We will show you how airlines will generate additional sales by offering alternative cash payment options in their checkout process
Reducing merchant costs in indirect distribution channels
- Giving some background and history on Air Europa’s situation
- Allowances and constraints – What could or could not be done?
- Outlining our lines of action and sharing what we have been doing
- Sharing our results and the main outcomes currently achieved
Embracing blockchain and payments: our future payments strategy
- Understanding the opportunities that blockchain present for payments
- How we are planning to adopt early and be innovation ready
- Sharing the work we have done so far and sharing our experiences
- Developinga seamless experience for every customer: how can this dream be achieved?
- Discussing what seamlessactually meansin the context of payments
- Does personalisation play a role in the future of payments?
Networking Break and Refreshments
How do alternative payments fit into the changing payment landscape?
- Discussing the opportunities around alternative payments and the benefits for carriers and customers alike
- How can the industry work together to really guide the future of payments in the aviation industry?
- Evaluating the impact of blockchain on payments: how can airlines prepare for this technology?
Millennial booking and payment trends
- Why your millennial passengers expect you to have alternative forms of payments
- How to turn payments from a cost center to a top-line revenue enhancer
- Learnings from retail & travel industries on how to use payments as a strategic lever
Developing a seamless payment experience for our customers
- Understanding United Airlines’ current payment options
- Creating a seamless payments ecosystem – managing different geographies, preferences and priorities
- Working towards a personalised payment infrastructure: what could this even look like?
Context is king! The new world of passenger communications
- From content to context, how mobile personalisedairtravel
- Acquire. Engage.Delight.Retain. In a journey of a hundred touchpoints how airlines are making sure that they're there at every single one
- Selling to the passengers of the future - the impact of voice, AR and an OS centricfuture
- Investing in payment platforms and partnerships that are going to deliver value for customers: separating the good from the average
- Understandingwhat our customers want and how we can best provide it to them
Welcome Drinks Reception
last published: 15/Aug/18 16:35
Retail, Thursday 6 September 2018
- Who are the latest successes of corporate start-up engagements in our industry?
- What should airlines tech focus on for the future of their business?
- How can airlines and other aerospace companies work with start-ups? should everyone invest? should everyone have innovation teams?
- How to stay ahead of the pack?
- What are the biggest barriers of innovation today for our industry?
- Is competition conducive to innovation in our industry?
- What is the power of partnerships and co-investments in the start-up ecosystem?
Chair’s Opening Remarks
Keynote Interview: Johan Lundgren, CEO, easyJet
New easyJet CEO Johan Lundgren joins us to talk about easyJet worldwide and look at how one of Europe’s largest airlines is using innovative solutions to expands their reach into all segments. He will also be exploring the evolution of the LCC business model in Europe and discussing the current competition and consolidation in the market.
Robin sits down with Guy Johnson to discuss the future prospect of JetBlue’s European expansion. They will also examine the consolidation in the US market and look at how much further it can go? Guy will also ask him about their beloved brand and how they continue to inspire customers and their staff to drive a better experience. Also find out more about how they’re launching corporate technology ventures to stay ahead of the curve.
Keynote Interview: Hernan Rincon, CEO, Avianca
Avianca’s innovative CEO is a former Microsoft executive, he is leading the airlines transformation by becoming more digitally-orientated rather than just aviation focused. In short Hernan wants to transform Avianca into a “digital company that flies planes”. He chats to Guy Johnson to talk about how they are looking to become more sophisticated, analytics-driven and how they plan to use digital and mobile apps to provide the passenger with a better experience.
- How can the aviation industry cope with the rapid changes that digital technology brings and how are airline CEOs prioritising digital and mobile only tools and applications?
- What is the next step for the consolidation in the European market, are low cost carriers still the core innovators in a dramatically changing industry?
- Passenger connectivity is continually growing, how can we use this to best serve our customers and deliver a more seamless end-to-end experience?
- What impact will low-cost long-haul travel have on the future of global competition and will we see new feeder partnerships develop?
- What does the next generation travel experience look like?
Innovation Keynote: Know Your Innovation ABCs: AI, Blockchain, Cloud
- How are these technologies advancing the airline industry in a tangible way?
- What successes do they drive?
- What's next for their impact in the coming months?
Networking refreshment break in the exhibition hall
With rising passenger expectations and rapidly-changing technology, how can we as an industry evolve to meet these challenges? Our roundtables are hosted by senior level topic specialists. Participants are asked to introduce themselves to the table, and then as a group, they brainstorm and produce their suggestions on what technology would work best for them. After 30 minutes, there is one rotation, so participants can join two tables during the session.
From complaints to compliments and better cost control, is IROPS logistics automation the answer?
How to build a world class airline through digital innovation
Jose Alvarez, EMEA Industry Strategy Director, Oracle
Partnering around biometrics and other technology to enhance the passenger experience beyond the airport
How digital transformation is changing SAS’ approach in improving revenue and customer satisfaction
- What digital transformation means at SAS – fundamentally changing the way we work
- With SAS brand as starting point using technologies and data insight to improve our relationship with the customer
- The path towards perfecting the right offer to the right customer, at the right time, with the right messaging on the right platforms: lessons learnt so far
The future of revenue optimization: Post-Booking
- How are leading airlines leveraging post-booking revenue optimization technologies?
- Can an airline successfully create its own secondary market?
- How can Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence drive increase profitability and better customer experience?
The ultra-low cost approach to ancillary retail
- Low prices are our loyalty – can a strong ancillary retail model be a loyalty tool aswell?
- Focusing on prices and yield: what are Spirits key strategies to grow these revenue generating areas?
- The role of technology at a ULCC is it worth the investment?
Working agile alongside customers to optimise digital platforms for booking & customer journey management
- Developing an agile digital platform across mobile, desktop andnew tech
- Understanding your customers and continuallydeveloping deeperunderstanding withthe use of personalisation& big data
- Understanding how Transaviaisevaluating thefuturetech such as voice functionalityfor implementation
Networking lunch in the exhibition hall
Hear the impact of personalisation on our sales: is it worth the hype?
- Implementing a personalised retail platform to optimise spend from every customer
- Making sure we are optimising our offering to make it more relevant and simple for our customers to buy
- Hear what the numbers say: what impact haspersonalisation had on our revenue?
How can airlines build open ecosystem using digital platform?
- Airlines start to realize the power and the benefits of digital platform economy
- The key way to leverage it lies in creating open ecosystems that improve customer satisfaction and bring value to the airline
- The presentation will demonstrate best examples in the Airline industry where open ecosystems created business value for Airlines
How Etihad are leveraging digital innovation into the booking and post booking flow?
- Launching the industry’s first dynamic live auctions for upgrades
- Capitalizing on innovative tools within the booking flow to drive better customer experience management
- Using post booking engagement to drive upsell
- Changing the perspective of the journey from airport-to-airport to door-to-door travel
- Working with ground transport as a complimentary service to ultimately own the traveller’s full journey
- Improving customer experience, passenger loyalty and brand perception by integrating ground transport into your booking flow
Designing our digital sales channels to capture our market and retain customers
- Understanding our customers: designing relevant promotions and discounts for specific audience
- Designing our platforms for intuitive use and simplicity – lessens from our experience
- Building effective personalisation with insights and data
Afternoon refreshment break and exhibition viewing
We have partnered with some of the best airline innovation hubs and accelerators from around the world to solve the everyday problems that the aviation industry faces.Some of the very best organisations that have emerged from our research will give a 3-minute pitch on stage to you the audience and to or carefully selected judging panel of some of the industry’s most informed executives.Join us to see how we as an industry can innovate through collaborating with start-ups to meet the needs of our passengers
last published: 15/Aug/18 16:35
Retail, Friday 7 September 2018
Conference doors open
Leveraging the Travel Tech startup ecosystem to prepare the travel industry for the future. Learn how an emerging international aviation collaboration program taps into the fast growing startup community to define the future of air travel.
Chairman’s opening remarks
Industry legend Sir Tim sits down with Henry Harteveldt to discuss:
How is the airline industry adapting to rapidly changing passenger behaviours and what kind of technological decisions should we be making to stay ahead of the curve?Embracing the revolution and understanding the next wave of big changes – Windowless planes, AI, biometrics, blockchain and hyper personalisationThe future of global distribution systems: How Emirates plans to remove digital intermediaries and take control of its offering
- Autonomous trends among the aviation landscape in particular – and how technology, innovation and data are transforming both customer service and key hub economies.
- The tools and applications that are shifting the airline industry as employees and customers gain greater control of the travel experience, especially within a connected world.
- How the right technology can help companies connect people and provide the best possible customer experience.
Keynote presentation: Marrying service with digital leadership
- Equipping the world’s most awarded airline for the digital age
- Understanding the importance of balancing technology, people and mindset
- What have been the key challenges, successes and learnings?
- What are the key potential touchpoints for artificial intelligence and how much of a priority will AI applications be for the airline industry by 2019?
- Will blockchain live up to the hype and be the panacea for data exchange that the airline industry desperately needs?
- Intelligent retailers – How can airlines start to become smarter with their offers and use digital to differentiate products and services?
- What will the next generation of in In-flight connectivity and on-board entertainment services and products look like?
- How can airlines effectively transition into digital companies that fly planes?
- How will airline distribution evolve and what will the relationship with the customer look like in 3-5 years?
- Reshaping the role of the GDSs - Do you need an intermediary at all?
- What technological innovations are going to permit access to richer content and more personalisation?
Networking refreshment break and exhibition viewing
Using AI to optimise revenue management on ancillary products
- Moving from manual testing to AI driven insights: shorter test time and increased agility
- Focusing on sustainable growth and the role that ancillaries play in providing an improved customer experience
- Overcoming the challenges to increase sustainable ancillary growth & our 2020 vision
Cargo Dollars – a Best Practice Study On Ancillary Revenues From Cargo
- How you can generate ancillary revenue out of un-utilised space
- Understanding how cargo management can bring in revenue without distracting from core business
- Taking advantage of our competence to maximise revenues in a novel way
Implementing an ancillary & merchandising strategy in the world’s largest legacy carrier
- Achieving revenue targets by creating a strong ancillary program at American Airlines
- Overcoming the limitations that come with scale and focus on loyalty, customer experience and frontline team members
- Ensuring booking experience is seamless, simple to understand and drives the right KPIs: sharing our successful developments
This session will:
- Explore how rich content can increase conversions, sales, and revenue streams across both traditional distribution models and NDC.
- Help you identify ways to distribute and showcase your products and fare attributes like never before through a community-driven NDC marketplace
- Examine easy and cost-effective ways for you to unlock the benefits of Dynamic Pricing, NDC and Rich Content without disrupting your day to day operations.
Kevin Fliess, VP Sales and Marketing, ATPCO
Topics discussed include:
- Making sure you have the right partners: expanding out of traditional revenue generators and benefiting from the trend of experience first growth
- How can all airlines benefit from technologies such as AI and personalisationto increase their ancillarygrowth
- Maximising your customer engagement & building the trust of your customersin order toown the trip
- Driving conversion: understanding your customers behaviour and increasing revenue with personalisation
Pacino Qin, Head of Ancillary Revenue and Head of Hong Kong Airlines Holidays, Hong Kong Airlines
Networking lunch in the exhibition hall
Integrating ancillary services successfully to minimise disappointed and optimise sales
- Optimising interoperability and working with our partners: how can airlines successfully standardise experiences?
- Sharing Air-France KLM's approach to interoperability and our insights
- Positioning ancillary services successfully in our sales channels and refining the offer catalogue
Create and capture value right across the travel customer journey
- Learn how savvy airlines are using the Customer Journey to enhance the customers’ travel experience and us and drive additional revenue.
- Discover how to use big data to increase margin, revenue and profits right across the customer journey
- Understand how new tools and technology such as chatbots are growing revenue, improving loyalty and delivering a better customer experience
Focusing on a creative approach to ancillaries: new models and new ideas
- Optimising the customer data in a cost-effective way at an LCC
- Re-imagining the decision-making process: how can you make sure your choice will make the most commercial sense?
- Taking ideas from other industries and applying them to aviation: does it always work?
Focusing on ancillaries which directly benefit the customer
- Opportunities arising from changing customer expectations from mobility
- Developing new, creative services which your customers don’t know they need
- Making sure that new ancillaries are developed and implemented in the most cost effective and result impactful way
Close of the festival - See you next year!
last published: 15/Aug/18 16:35
Customer analytics and big data
Implementation partners and consultants
POS omni channel technology
Inventory management systems
In-flight technology and media
Crew engagement training services
Head of Airline Retail
Head of Retail Operations
Head of Purchasing
Head of Duty Free
Head of Airport Sales
Head of On-board Sales
For sponsorship and exhibition please contact Martyn McMurray on
Mark Your Calendars Now!
Conference 5-7 September • Exhibition & Seminars 6-7 September
The Aviation Festival is two events:
a world-class international conference
featuring leading airline speakers from around the world; and
a technology exhibition
showcasing the latest innovations global leaders to the start-ups.
To visit the exhibition is free. There is, naturally, a registration fee to attend the conference.