Tom is currently the Chief Economist at Newmont Mining Corporation and is responsible for generating key commodity price, foreign exchange and other financial assumptions used throughout the company. In this role, Tom also develops methods to effectively quantify and communicate the economic impact of Newmont’s operations to host communities and countries. Previously at Newmont, Tom led the Strategic Planning function that developed and implemented portfolio modeling analytics and also held positions in Investor Relations, Treasury and Corporate Development.
Previously Tom was a Senior Manager at Risk Capital Management, a consultancy that advised energy and natural resource companies on financial risk, valuation and commodity hedging.
Tom holds a Ph.D. in Mineral Economics with research emphases in commodity markets from the Colorado School of Mines. In addition, Tom holds a Masters degree in Mathematics, also from the Colorado School of Mines.
The Mining Show 2017 day 1 @ 09:40
Keynote: Defying the great big bear and navigating exceptional territory
- The world of mine investment strategy, economics and their impacts in 2017 and beyond: booms, busts, blow-overs and saying “bye-bye!” to normality
- The ingenious investor: how to make uncertainty useful
- Bulls vs bears: have we bottomed out?
The Mining Show 2017 day 1 @ 14:20
Panel: The mine of the future
- Envisioning the mine of the future: streamlined, safe and productive 24 hours a day
- Developing infrastructure required to facilitate autonomous and innovative technology in mining
- The future of mining is digital: humans vs robots
- ROI: to invest in technology or to invest in commodities?
The Mining Show 2017 day 2 @ 09:00
Keynote panel: The world of investment, macroeconomics and geopolitical ripples
- Assessing the business impacts of Trumponomics, Brexit and Eurozone crises
- Evaluating shifts in mood, sentiment, globalisation and the rise of economic nationalism
- Scenario planning to ride the waves of change
Biswajit Dasgupta, Chief Investment Officer, Emirates Investment Bank pjsc
back to speakers