Oliver has deep experience in the Transport sector and has advised transport operators and governments across multiple regions including Asia, UK, America and the Middle East. Oliver has worked directly for the UK Ministry of Finance as a Rail Policy Advisor. In this role Oliver advised government ministers on multi-billion dollar rolling stock and operating contract procurements and the letting of the UK’s only High Speed Rail concession.
back to speakers
- Thailand High Speed Rail – Oliver is advising the Thai government on developing high speed rail lines. The work includes financial feasibility analysis and advice on project and concession agreements.
- Singapore bus tendering – Oliver led the commercial and financial advice to Go-Ahead on their entrance to the Singapore market through bidding for operating contracts for up to 500 buses and 26 routes. The work included financial modelling, cost estimation, partnering strategy and assessment of the risks involved in the contract.
- Jakarta LRT Project – Review of feasibility study for LRT project, advising on contract structuring and making the project bankable and deliverable
- Jakarta Monorail – Development of financial model to assess the project’s financial viability
- UK Rail franchise bids – Oliver has advised FirstGroup Plc, the then largest rail operator in the UK, on 3 bids for high speed rail franchises. His work involved the financial modelling of key areas of the bid including retail, media and property revenue, infrastructure access charges and operating costs. He worked closely with the client to develop robust bids and understands the commitment required to fully support the client through the procurement process.
- Asian rail operator – Financial advice to rail operator. His responsibilities included the specification and management of the financial model build, commercial and strategic advice and presentations to the company Board on the implications of a revised risk allocation and operating contract structure
- Government of Jakarta – advised on the establishment of a feeder bus system for the existing BRT system. Scope of work included assessing the feasibility of the system, developing the commercial structure, government funding assessment and advising on the appropriate institutional setting
- London and Continental Railways, UK (High Speed 1 owner) restructuring: Represented UK Treasury in structuring of $4bn privatisation of the UK’s only High Speed Rail infrastructure and associated passenger operations. Provided guidance to the Chancellor and Treasury officials on key elements of the deal including design and financial structuring of the 30 year Concession Agreement for the track, station and signalling infrastructure
- Network Rail, Periodic Review; Oliver was responsible for reviewing the $50bn of spending plans for Network Rail – the UK high rail infrastructure owner – and analysing how the spending was to be funded.
- HSR operator: Undertook financial and commercial due diligence for the UK government of a distressed rail PPP operator. Oliver’s work included assessing the drivers behind the company’s underperformance and analysing the immediate cash flow position of the operating company
- Office of the PPP Arbiter: Advised the independent regulator of the $15bn PPP for the upgrade and maintenance of the London MRT network.
- UK Department for Transport (DfT), ‘The future of rail franchising’ - Led the industry consultation workstream of rail franchise policy review for the DfT, advised on mechanisms to encourage private sector investment during a franchise; analysed different revenue and risk-sharing mechanisms and whether availability based payment mechanisms were appropriate for the national rail network.