Sylvain is a seasoned professional with experience of developing, financing and investing in greenfield infrastructure assets with an especially deep experience in project finance debt raising. He is in particular responsible for Macquarie Capital greenfield project finance debt raising activities in Europe.
Sylvain has worked in PPPs and infrastructure development and financing for over fifteen years. He joined Macquarie Capital in 2004 in the Infrastructure Projects and Principal (IPP) team which acts for Macquarie as financial investor in greenfield projects (using Macquarie own balance sheet) but also provides third party financial advisory services to external clients. The IPP team can provide full development life cycle funding, from early development funding to construction equity.
During this time, he closed infrastructure project finance transactions representing more than €10bn of investments, in many different European countries and covering a wide variety of sectors: transport, renewable, electricity transmission, telecom infrastructure, accommodation, healthcare, street lighting….etc
Through his leadership of the Macquarie Capital greenfield project finance practice, Sylvain is responsible for:
- Client relationship for financial advisory services;
- Relationship with all key funders active in the market;
- Market intelligence;
- Value-add structuring;
- Best execution of debt raising processes;
- Sharing of best practice and ideas across different transactions.
Sylvain’s core expertise lies in the structuring and optimisation of complex debt financial including:
- Assessing different funding sources to select and compete most suitable ones;
- Creating debt structures to maximise bankability and value for money;
- Negotiating all detailed terms, conditions and covenants including leverage and pricing for multiple debt structures;
- Leading the negotiation of an extensive range of credit documentation including loan facility agreements, intercreditor agreements, ISDA agreements, bank account, security and collateral documents;
- Assessing and implementing interest rate, inflation and FX hedging; and
- Conducting complete ratings agency processes through from inception to obtaining final credit ratings.
His debt structuring experience covers the whole spectrum of products available, from bank debt to bond, including institutional investors’ private placements, mezzanine, structured products and guarantees. He is also deeply experienced in managing all aspects of the due diligence process, including legal, technical, tax & accounting, insurance, market and operational matters. Sylvain is also an accomplished equity investor with extensive knowledge of related approval processes.
He also previously worked for the French Infrastructure Project Finance team of Societe Generale and for the Structured Finance department of Vinci, where he was involved in water, airport, road and bridge projects.