Past speaker Mr. Y. Sudhir Shetty | COO - Global Operations | UAE E Exchange
Y. Sudhir Kumar Shetty is the Chief Operating Officer - Global Operations of UAE Exchange, one of the world's largest and most diversified remittance companies. A true veteran in the remittance industry, he has been leading the UAE Exchange since 1991, and during his 19 years with the company, Sudhir’s charismatic leadership, technology insight and operational expertise has transformed UAE Exchange into a truly global brand.
Today acclaimed as the world’s trusted money transferrer, UAE Exchange, is one of the leading remittance and exchange houses globally, with a fast growing international presence which as of date spans across 22 countries in five continents with close to 500 direct offices and a correspondent banking relationship with more than 150 major banks across the globe. Xpress Money its instant money transfer product also headed by Sudhir has close to 60,000 agent locations in 95 countries and is fast consolidating its presence in the globe. The total turnover of UAE Exchange in 2009 was 29 BILLION US Dollars (USD 17 Billion in Remittances and USD 12 Billion in Foreign Exchange).
UAE Exchange has always been a pioneer in setting new standards in the industry with diversified product and service offerings, customer service excellence and emergent technologies. For the customers, the name has now become synonymous with quality and is considered as the most trusted brand to send money back home to their loved ones. More than 6,250 UAE Exchange personnel across the globe consisting of 40 nationalities serve more than 100,000 customers daily striving to ensure customer delight.
Sudhir completed his Bachelor’s degree in Law and Commerce from the University of Mysore and also completed his Chartered Accountancy in Mangalore. Before coming to the UAE, Sudhir worked with a range of audit firms in India gaining good experience in financial management. He has a decade worth of experience in income, concurrent and statutory auditing for various banks and Insurance Companies and had even established his independent auditing practice in the late 1980s.
A new era began in the life of Sudhir after he met Dr. B. R. Shetty, the Managing Director & CEO of NMC Group of Companies, one of the leading business conglomerates in the Middle East. In 1990 Sudhir joined the NMC Group of companies as Internal Auditor and soon after a year in 1991 was elevated to Head UAE Exchange, the Remittance & Money Exchange Company of the NMC group.
Sudhir is known for his multifaceted personality which covers the areas of Leadership, Business, Social Work & Philanthropic activities, promotion of culture, Education, Sports and above all for his love for his mother land, which he serves through every role he adorns.
EDUCATIONAL & PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS
• Successfully completed the “Key Executive Program” at Harvard Business School, USA in October 2000.
• Has been an associate member of the Indian Institute of Chartered Accountants since 1990 and a fellow member since 1996.
• Holds a Bachelor’s degree in Law and an additional degree in Commerce from the University of Mysore in India.
• Founder member of Toastmasters, a leading movement dedicated to the improvement of communication and leadership skills among business executives. He has also been the President and sponsor of Toastmasters Club in UAE.
• Membership of various executive and business councils in UAE.
• A leading public figure, he delivers lectures at academic and business circles across the world.
• Member - National Anti-Money Laundering Committee, Central Bank of the UAE
• Treasurer of Foreign Exchange & Remittance Group (FERG), UAE
• Has been elected as the President of the prestigious India Social & Cultural Centre (ISC), Abu Dhabi in 2009 with a thumping 82% majority.
• Member of Indian Business & Professional Group (IBPG), UAE
• Member of American Business Group (ABG), UAE
• Australian Business Group (AusBG), UAE
• Philippine Business Council (PBC), UAE
• Swiss Business Council (SBC), UAE
• Member of Advisory Board of St. Joseph’s School, Abu Dhabi, UAE
• Has been Member of the Board of Abu Dhabi Indian School, Abu Dhabi, UAE
• Member of Advisory Board of Innovative Development Centre for Educational Aptitude (IDEA)
• Member of Advisory Board of Science India Forum (SIF)
• He has been elected as a Member of Zayed Cricket Academy, School’s Cricket Development Board (under Abu Dhabi Cricket Council), and development of budding cricketers.