One of Asia’s most recognisable entrepreneurs, Tony Fernandes is best known for co-founding low-cost carrier AirAsia with Datuk Kamarudin Meranun and democratising air travel in the region.
Fernandes and Datuk Kamarudin bought the ailing airline for a token MYR1 (approximately USD0.25) and MYR40 million in debt, turning it around within two years and growing it from a Malaysian domestic carrier into Asia’s largest low-cost carrier by passengers. AirAsia now operates in six countries - Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, Philippines, India and Japan - serving some 320 routes to more than 130 destinations across Asia, Australia and New Zealand, the Middle East and the US.
AirAsia has been named World’s Best Low-Cost Airline at the annual Skytrax World Airline Awards 10 times in a row from 2009 to 2018 and World's Leading Low-Cost Airline for five consecutive years from 2013 to 2017 at the World Travel Awards, and recently celebrated its 500 million passengers milestone. AirAsia recently embarked on a journey to transform itself from an airline to a one-stop travel technology company that will encompass flights, hotels, activities, deals, e-commerce, payments, duty-free, inflight connectivity, loyalty and more.
Fernandes studied in the UK, and qualified as an Associate Member of the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants in 1991 and Fellow Member in 1996. An accountant by training, Fernandes began his career in Richard Branson’s Virgin Group, eventually returning to Malaysia as Warner Music Group’s Vice President for Southeast Asia before venturing into the airline business.
Fernandes has received numerous honours and awards over the course of his career, including the Honour of the Commander of the Order of the British Empire, conferred by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II in 2011, and the Commander of the Legion d’Honneur, awarded by the French government for his outstanding contributions towards the economy of France through the aviation industry.
World Aviation Festival - 5th September @ 08:30
Keynote Interview: Tony Fernandes, Group CEO, AirAsia
Low Cost industry legend and one of Asia’s most famous entrepreneurs joins us to talk about AirAsia’s huge transformation. Going from being an airline to a one-stop travel technology company. Tony will be sharing how Asia’s largest low-cost carrier is going beyond air transportation to encompass hotels, activities, loyalty and much more. Discover first-hand how AirAsia is digitalising operations and using advanced analytics and machine learning to digitise every aspect of its business and better serve customers.
World Aviation Festival - 5th September @ 09:45
Keynote CEO Panel
Following their interviews, our keynote speakers will join a panel discussion, where they will debate some of the biggest challenges facing the industry. Key issues they will address include:
- How can the aviation industry cope with the rapid changes that digital technology brings and how are airline CEOs prioritising digital and mobile only tools and applications?
- What are the trends that will shape the industry into 2020 and where are airline CEOs placing their bets?Biometrics, blockchain, robotics, artificial intelligence, voice technology, connectivity and cyber security?
- In what way will airlines evolve beyond selling seats and become more involved in the wider booking and planning experience for customers?
- What is the next step for the evolution of low-cost carriers and are they still the core innovators in a dramatically changing industry?
- Passenger connectivity is continually growing, how can we use this to best serve our customers and deliver a more seamless end-to-end experience?
- What impact will ultra-long-haul travel have on the future of global competition and will we see new partnerships develop?
- How do airline CEOs see digital as a core differentiator against competition and how are they investing in technology to improve day to day operations and services?
last published: 23/May/19 08:55 GMT