Retail Innovation and technology for airline, airports and partners
Historically airlines haven’t taken advantage of the retail opportunity presented by having a pre-qualified captive audience of travellers. Online retailers have increased passengers expectations tenfold, the average traveller is used to contextual marketing, personalised experiences and a fast acting service.
The Air Retail Show brings together Heads of Retail, Heads of Ancillary, Heads of Innovation and Heads of Experience to discuss the digital transformation lessons airlines can learn from mainstream retailers to enhance passenger experience and boost sales.
Key topics covered this year include the growth of ancillary revenues, personalisation of the shopping experience, on board crew engagement, multi-channel shopping, airport retail technology, big data and connectivity.
Can you help Heads of Ancillary and Retail cater to the needs of the next generation of travellers? Then join us at the Global Air Retail Show.
Advisory Board Members
Director Ancillary and Product
Director Ancillary Revenue
Head of Ancillary Revenue
Mariana Fonseca Medina
Director of Ancillary and Merchandising Strategy
Director, Ancillary Products, Loyalty & Co-Brand Programs
Head of Ancillary Revenue and Head of Hong Kong Airlines Holidays
Hong Kong Airlines
VP Global Sales & Revenue Management
Loyalty, Wednesday 5 September 2018
Evaluating the opportunities for blockchain in aviation
Is there substance behind the buzzword?
Understanding the different use cases for the loyalty industry
Insights into Air Baltic's vision for blockchain
How better customer experience drives true loyalty
Expedia’s new loyalty report shows that diverse product offer and customer experience drives loyalty
Yet, travel brands rely almost exclusively on discounts/promotions
Expedia’s technology solutions help partners offer more value and drive brand loyalty
Driving customer experience to the top of the priority list to grow loyal customers
As customer expectations rise, hear how Caribbean airlines implemented a successful optimisation plan
Developing a digital relationship with our customers and making sure this encourages loyalty
Understanding the relationship between experiences and loyalty: what does our data tell us?
Investigating how airlines can integrate loyalty across multiple business areas
Discussing the importance of simple e-commerce and payment platforms to keep travellers earning and burning loyalty points
The importance of dynamic packaging in controlling the customer’s phone for booking
Panel Discussion: Understanding your data to create better services for your customers
- How can Loyalty programs and Airlines really use the wealth of data effectively?
- Sharing our experiences of creating better customer insights from our loyalty programs
- Developing a customer centric evidence based strategy
last published: 14/Jun/18 15:55
Retail, Thursday 6 September 2018
- Who are the latest successes of corporate start-up engagements in our industry?
- What should airlines tech focus on for the future of their business?
- How can airlines and other aerospace companies work with start-ups? should everyone invest? should everyone have innovation teams?
- How to stay ahead of the pack?
- What are the biggest barriers of innovation today for our industry?
- Is competition conducive to innovation in our industry?
- What is the power of partnerships and co-investments in the start-up ecosystem?
Chair’s Opening Remarks
Keynote Interview: Johan Lundgren, CEO, easyJet
New easyJet CEO Johan Lundgren joins us to talk about easyJet worldwide and look at how one of Europe’s largest airlines is using innovative solutions to expands their reach into all segments. He will also be exploring the evolution of the LCC business model in Europe and discussing the current competition and consolidation in the market.
Keynote Interview: Thorsten Dirks, CEO Eurowings, Board Member, Lufthansa
Thorsten has a vast amount of experience outside the aviation industry, as former President of Germany’s digital industry association he is bringing a lot of much needed digital experience to the airline sector. He sits down with Guy Johnson to discuss the challenges of restructuring the eurowings brand and the efforts he is making to ensure that digital is at the core of everything the airline does going forward.
Keynote Interview: Hernan Rincon, CEO, Avianca
Avianca’s innovative CEO is a former Microsoft executive, he is leading the airlines transformation by becoming more digitally-orientated rather than just aviation focused. In short Hernan wants to transform Avianca into a “digital company that flies planes”. He chats to Guy Johnson to talk about how they are looking to become more sophisticated, analytics-driven and how they plan to use digital and mobile apps to provide the passenger with a better experience.
Keynote Interview: Jozsef Varadi, CEO, Wizz Air
Wizz Air CEO Jo Varadi has big plans in 2018 and beyond. He talks to us about how one of Europe’s largest LCCs plans to boost capacity and gives his thoughts on the ongoing consolidation in the European market. Find out directly from him on the potential of future expansion into the transatlantic market and understand how Wizz plan to stay very competitive.
- How can the aviation industry cope with the rapid changes that digital technology brings and how are airline CEOs prioritising digital and mobile only tools and applications?
- What is the next step for the consolidation in the European market, are low cost carriers still the core innovators in a dramatically changing industry?
- Passenger connectivity is continually growing, how can we use this to best serve our customers and deliver a more seamless end-to-end experience?
- What impact will low-cost long-haul travel have on the future of global competition and will we see new feeder partnerships develop?
- What does the next generation travel experience look like?
Innovation Keynote: Know Your Innovation ABCs: AI, Blockchain, Cloud
- How are these technologies advancing the airline industry in a tangible way?
- What successes do they drive?
- What's next for their impact in the coming months?
Networking refreshment break in the exhibition hall
With rising passenger expectations and rapidly-changing technology, how can we as an industry evolve to meet these challenges? Our roundtables are hosted by senior level topic specialists. Participants are asked to introduce themselves to the table, and then as a group, they brainstorm and produce their suggestions on what technology would work best for them. After 30 minutes, there is one rotation, so participants can join two tables during the session.
From complaints to compliments and better cost control, is IROPS logistics automation the answer?
How can airlines both increase incremental revenue and driver greater NPS?
Azim Barodawala, CEO, Volantio Inc.
How digital transformation is changing SAS’ approach in improving revenue and customer satisfaction
- What digital transformation means at SAS – fundamentally changing the way we work
- With SAS brand as starting point using technologies and data insight to improve our relationship with the customer
- The path towards perfecting the right offer to the right customer, at the right time, with the right messaging on the right platforms: lessons learnt so far
Working agile alongside customers to optimise digital platforms for booking & customer journey management
Developing an agile digital platform across mobile, desktop and new tech
Understanding your customers and continually developing deeper understanding with the use of personalisation& big data
Understanding how Transavia is evaluating the future tech such as voice functionality for implementation
Networking lunch in the exhibition hall
Hear the impact of personalisation on our sales: is it worth the hype?
Implementing a personalised retail platform to optimise spend from every customer
Making sure we are optimising our offering to make it more relevant and simple for our customers to buy
Hear what the numbers say: what impact has personalisation had on our revenue?
How can airlines build open ecosystem using digital platform?
- Digital era enables airlines to test their ancillary services on a whole new level – see how digital platforms can enable you to test-run products and services and try new ideas.
- How can you create a revolving digital marketplace, where high relevance brings high revenues?
The ultra-low cost approach to ancillary retail
Low prices are our loyalty – can a strong ancillary retail model be a loyalty tool aswell?
Focusing on prices and yield: what are Spirits key strategies to grow these revenue generating areas?
The role of technology at a ULCC is it worth the investment?
Changing the perspective of the journey from airport-to-airport to door-to-door travel
Working with ground transport as a complimentary service to ultimately own the traveller’s full journey
Improving customer experience, passenger loyalty and brand perception by integrating ground transport into your booking flow
Designing our digital sales channels to capture our market and retain customers
Understanding our customers: designing relevant promotions and discounts for specific audience
Designing our platforms for intuitive use and simplicity – lessens from our experience
Building effective personalisation with insights and data
Afternoon refreshment break and exhibition viewing
We have partnered with some of the best airline innovation hubs and accelerators from around the world to solve the everyday problems that the aviation industry faces.
Some of the very best organisations that have emerged from our research will give a 3-minute pitch on stage to you the audience and to or carefully selected judging panel of some of the industry’s most informed executives.
Join us to see how we as an industry can innovate through collaborating with start-ups to meet the needs of our passengers
last published: 14/Jun/18 15:55
Retail, Friday 7 September 2018
Conference doors open
Chairman’s opening remarks
Industry legend Sir Tim sits down with Henry Harteveldt to discuss:
- How is the airline industry adapting to rapidly changing passenger behaviours and what kind of technological decisions should we be making to stay ahead of the curve?
- Embracing the revolution and understanding the next wave of big changes – Windowless planes, AI, biometrics, blockchain and hyper personalisation
- The future of global distribution systems: How Emirates plans to remove digital intermediaries and take control of its offering
- Autonomous trends among the aviation landscape in particular – and how technology, innovation and data are transforming both customer service and key hub economies.
- The tools and applications that are shifting the airline industry as employees and customers gain greater control of the travel experience, especially within a connected world.
- How the right technology can help companies connect people and provide the best possible customer experience.
Keynote presentation: Marrying service with digital leadership
- Equipping the world’s most awarded airline for the digital age
- Understanding the importance of balancing technology, people and mindset
- What have been the key challenges, successes and learnings?
- What are the key potential touchpoints for artificial intelligence and how much of a priority will AI applications be for the airline industry by 2019?
- Will blockchain live up to the hype and be the panacea for data exchange that the airline industry desperately needs?
- What will the next generation of in In-flight connectivity and on-board entertainment services and products look like?
- Understanding the future of distribution: What will the airline distribution model look like in the next 5 years and what role will Global Distribution Systems play?
Networking refreshment break and exhibition viewing
Using AI to optimise revenue management on ancillary products
Moving from manual testing to AI driven insights: shorter test time and increased agility
Focusing on sustainable growth and the role that ancillaries play in providing an improved customer experience
Overcoming the challenges to increase sustainable ancillary growth & our 2020 vision
Cargo Dollars – a Best Practice Study On Ancillary Revenues From Cargo
- How you can generate ancillary revenue out of un-utilised space
- Understanding how cargo management can bring in revenue without distracting from core business
- Taking advantage of our competence to maximise revenues in a novel way
Implementing an ancillary & merchandising strategy in the world’s largest legacy carrier
- Achieving revenue targets by creating a strong ancillary program at American Airlines
- Overcoming the limitations that come with scale and focus on loyalty, customer experience and frontline team members
- Ensuring booking experience is seamless, simple to understand and drives the right KPIs: sharing our successful developments
This session will:
- Explore how rich content can increase conversions, sales, and revenue streams across both traditional distribution models and NDC.
- Help you identify ways to distribute and showcase your products and fare attributes like never before through a community-driven NDC marketplace
- Examine easy and cost-effective ways for you to unlock the benefits of Dynamic Pricing, NDC and Rich Content without disrupting your day to day operations.
Topics discussed include:
Making sure you have the right partners: expanding out of traditional revenue generators and benefiting from the trend of experience first growth
How can all airlines benefit from technologies such as AI and personalisation to increase their ancillary growth
Maximising your customer engagement & building the trust of your customers in order to own the trip
Driving conversion: understanding your customers behaviour and increasing revenue with personalisation
Networking lunch in the exhibition hall
Integrating ancillary services successfully to minimise disappointed and optimise sales
- Optimising interoperability and working with our partners: how can airlines successfully standardise experiences?
- Sharing Air-France KLM's approach to interoperability and our insights
- Positioning ancillary services successfully in our sales channels and refining the offer catalogue
Capture your market on the right channels
Is mobile first the key to unlocking the next wave of travellers?
Understanding what different segments utilise different platforms for across the customer journey
Optimising booking on mobile: social sales, one click buy and condensing clear information
Focusing on a creative approach to ancillaries: new models and new ideas
Optimising the customer data in a cost-effective way at an LCC
Re-imagining the decision-making process: how can you make sure your choice will make the most commercial sense?
Taking ideas from other industries and applying them to aviation: does it always work?
Focusing on ancillaries which directly benefit the customer
Opportunities arising from changing customer expectations from mobility
Developing new, creative services which your customers don’t know they need
Making sure that new ancillaries are developed and implemented in the most cost effective and result impactful way
Close of the festival - See you next year!
last published: 14/Jun/18 15:55
Customer analytics and big data
Implementation partners and consultants
POS omni channel technology
Inventory management systems
In-flight technology and media
Crew engagement training services
Head of Airline Retail
Head of Retail Operations
Head of Purchasing
Head of Duty Free
Head of Airport Sales
Head of On-board Sales
For sponsorship and exhibition please contact Martyn McMurray on